Dental Assistant I
Job posting number: #7196550
Posted: November 28, 2023
Application Deadline: Open Until Filled
Job DescriptionJOB DESCRIPTION:
Works in the University of Florida College of Dentistry, Wildlight Clinic. Assists dentists and hygienists in treating patients as outlined in the State of Florida Dental laws. Assists with dental operator set-up. Assists at chairside, providing dental support services.
Works with faculty and staff members to ensure proper delivery of dental care to patients. Manages laboratory cases. Makes follow-up appointments as needed.
- Assists dentists and hygienists in treating patients as outlined in the State of Florida dental laws. Assists with dental operatory set-up and cleaning operatory areas. Assists with chairside, providing dental support services. Works with faculty and staff members to ensure the delivery of dental care to patients. Assists with routine operative procedures using nitrous oxide, hygiene procedures, and oral and IV sedation. Takes impressions, x-rays, place matrices, and wedges. Assists in various fourhanded techniques, such as grasping and transferring instruments.
- Greets and prepares patients for treatment. Prepares patient for dental treatment by welcoming, seating, and making patient comfortable. Takes patient health history and performs charting functions with provider. Takes patient radiographs.
- Packages and sterilizes clinical supplies and instruments. Assists in stocking, ordering, and controlling the use of clinical supplies.
- Customer service, as required for front desk backup. Answers incoming calls from patients, dentists, and other dental care providers (internal and external), etc. Responds to patients' and dentists' questions directly within the scope of the position. Schedules patient appointments and obtains prior dental records, as needed. Coordinates laboratory cases, schedules patient appointments, and recall visits.
- Performs other related duties as needed. Participate in community outreach activities as needed.
Normal Work Schedule:
- 8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m. Monday through Friday, 40 hours per week, subject to change.
- Hours may vary depending on patient scheduling and needs. Clinical procedure times vary, which require Dental Assistants to work past 5 p.m. if needed.
The University of Florida offers low-cost State Health Plans, and a number of Dental and Vision plans to fit your and your family's needs. Domestic partner coverage through Gatorcare is also available. Build your retirement roadmap with competitive pension plans, investment accounts, and a host of voluntary add-ons such as 457 deferred compensation and 403(b) plans.
UF provides a variety of leave programs, including vacation, sick leave, 10 paid holidays, personal leave days, and family medical leave. TEAMS employees accrue approximately 22 vacation days annually, 13 sick days annually, and 4 personal leave days, typically used during the holiday closing period (accruals based on full-time employment).
UF also provides you the flexibility to deal with life's challenges by offering paid family leave, eight full weeks of leave over a 24-month period.
UF employees are also eligible for the GatorPerks discount program, which provides big savings at various businesses and retailers! See https://benefits.hr.ufl.edu/support/
High school diploma and one year of appropriate experience. Appropriate college coursework or vocational/technical training may be substituted at an equivalent rate for the required experience. CPR required upon hire.
EDUCATION & TRAINING - Dental radiology certification, Expanded function dental auxiliary (EFDA) certification.
KNOWLEDGE - Working knowledge of all phases of dental treatment.
SKILLS - Excellent manual dexterity.
ABILITIES - Ability to work effectively with patients and providers. Ability to handle language and cultural diversity.