PATIENT COMMUNICATIONS SPECIALIST
Job posting number: #7195400 (Ref:hlj_50720)
Posted: November 21, 2023
Application Deadline: Open Until Filled
Moffitt Cancer Center is internationally recognized for our focus on personalized cancer care and translational research. The mission of Moffitt is clear, focused, and fully stated in nine words, "To contribute to the prevention and cure of cancer." With a tradition of excellence that began with the first patient admission in 1986, dedicated Moffitt physicians, scientists, and staff members have remained committed to excellence in an atmosphere characterized by kindness, caring, and hope.
The Patient Communication Specialist (PCS) is responsible for answering inbound calls, emails and other communications (for example, online chat) within the centralized patient contact center, assisting patients and/or routing those making inquiry to the appropriate department for their individual needs.
The primary responsibility of the PCS is to transcribe detailed clinical messages into electronic systems to send to the appropriate party according to established guidelines. The PCS will follow up and escalate when necessary when responses are not received within the specified timeframe.
We are currently looking for a Patient Communication Specialist (PCS) to join our team.
- Receive calls/electronic inquiries on behalf of a wide range of physicians and hospital departments. Assesse the needs to the caller according to department protocols, personally resolving a majority of inquiries without transfer or escalation. Transfer/escalate certain incoming calls to another destination on limited occasions; endeavors to resolve inquiries without transfer by asking appropriate questions and providing callers with accurate information utilizing resources to resolve inquiries within the scope of the department (e.g., provides directions, confirms appointment dates/times, transcribes requests for medical records). For clinical calls, accurately transcribe clear and concise messages according to defined protocols including immediate digital messaging to the clinical team when indicated. Follow up on messages to ensure that they were received and handled by the appropriate team, escalating to management when appropriate.
- Read, understand and follow protocols accurately and efficiently. Develop a thorough understanding of policies and can exercise appropriate judgment to intelligently handle situations outside of standard protocols. Read, understand and follow protocols accurately and efficiently; develop a thorough understanding of policies and exercises appropriate judgment to intelligently handle situations outside of standard protocols.
- Perform clerical and administrative duties between calls including monitoring of electronic fax stations and accurately flagging faxes for their intended recipients.
- Provide detailed, step-by-step technical support to patients to ensure they can successfully access, navigate and utilize Moffitt's growing portfolio of electronic communication platforms. Demonstrate confidence and technical understanding in interactions with patients.
- Answer routine inquiries and perform functions such as confirming appointments and collecting ROI request details.
- Report telephone problems immediately to supervisor and/or IT.
- Consult with supervisor if unsure of how to handle a specific situation.
- Answer incoming calls in a timely and professional manner, addressing inquiries appropriate to scope and routing them to their proper destinations as required.
- Accurately enter information obtained during call into databases as the call is being processed.
- Act independently and with sound judgment in responding to situations. Accurately gather information to take a comprehensive and clear message on behalf of the patients and families that are attempting to contact a provider.
- Determine priorities, resolve problems and diffuse tensions of callers who are experiencing difficulty.
- Maintain a strong knowledge of Moffitt services, departments and operations.
- Demonstrate initiative by utilizing time between calls to complete tasks specific to the Department.
- Other duties as assigned by management.
- Work cooperatively with fellow department members to achieve team goals.
The Ideal Candidate will have:
- Bilingual in English and Spanish
- Ability to thrive in a fast-paced environment while maintaining strong communication, interpersonal, conflict-management, telephone etiquette, and customer service skills.
- A consistent "TEAM" player attitude.
Credentials and Qualifications:
- High school diploma / GED required.
- 2 years of telephone-based customer service, “help desk” or physician answering service experience or 1 year of relevant Moffitt experience in a role that has direct interaction with patients and/or their families.
- Excellent verbal (voice quality, grammar and articulation) and written (grammar, spelling, accuracy) communication skills.
- Accurate data entry skills, including fast and accurate keyboarding (typing) required with a minimum proven ability to type 40 WPM.
- Experience utilizing Microsoft Office Outlook with basic proficiency.
- Must be able to pass a typing competency test.
Mission To create a Moﬃtt culture of diversity, equity, and inclusion as we strive to contribute to the prevention and cure of cancer. Vision To advance and accelerate a culture of access, equity, and inclusion. Diversity is a priority at Moffitt and is meant "to promote a culture of diversity and inclusion as we contribute to the prevention and cure of cancer." The Enterprise Equity Department focuses its efforts on eliminating those obstacles to an individual’s ability to exist within their personal comfort zone at the cancer center. Everyone is important to meeting this priority. Addressing and responding to diversity and inclusion fosters an environment where mutual respect for diverse cultures, communication styles, languages, customs, beliefs, values, traditions, experiences and other ways in which we identify ourselves, is the expectation.