Manager, Property, Materials Handling, and Fleet Services
Job posting number: #7194793 (Ref:416845)
Posted: November 18, 2023
Nuclear, Waste, and Site Services (NWS) division and the Infrastructure Services (IS) directorate for Argonne National Laboratory is hiring a Manager, Property, Material Handling, and Fleet Services. The position is responsible for the day-to-day oversight and administration of personal property program management, fleet management, receiving, package handling, auto and equipment repair and maintenance. This position serves as the Argonne Site Property Manager.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Provides for the overall administration, coordination, and control. Acts as personal property, fleet management, material handling or auto service subject area point of contact with the DOE and other related officials. Leads efforts to address any concerns or issues.
- Serves as Subject Matter Expert for establishing and implementing personal property (e.g. precious metals, accountable, sensitive, high risk, and capital) program and oversees development of fleet management policies and procedures in accordance with regulatory requirements (41 CFR 101-39, 41 CFR 102, and 41 CFR 109). Provides for accountability, management, and control, of personal property, GSA vehicles, purchased equipment and commercially leased vehicles and equipment. Disseminates information and advises lab-wide stakeholders and subordinate staff on potential impacts to procedures, and safe work practices.
- Oversees subordinate managers in establishing and implementing material handling and auto service policies, procedures, and safe work control practices in accordance with worker safety and health regulations. Ensures the quality and safe performance of vehicles and equipment.
- Directs personal property, fleet management and in a matrixed way (division property representatives, vehicle custodians, and subcontractors) in their efforts to maintain reliable data and utilizing data management systems that provide for tracking, custodian assignment records, and equipment and material traceability (e.g., location).
- Provides for personal property training. Oversees fleet services, material handling and auto service training provided through subordinate managers. Ensures training is provided to direct, matrixed, and subcontractor work force, as necessary.
- Manages personal property, material handling, fleet and auto service staff and laboratory division property representatives to ensure physical inventories are performed and witnessed.
- Proposes and assigns the Precious Metals Control Officer to serve as primary point of control and management. Manages purchased and recovered precious metals used to meet research and programmatic needs.
- Manages the disposition, sale, recycling, and donation of excess personal property and equipment.
- Directs the development and implementation of property, fleet, material handling, auto and equipment services strategic plans, goals, and objectives. Embeds goals into employee performance expectations. Must be able to demonstrate the flexibility to navigate complex problems to execute high performance expectations.
- Knowledge of personal property, fleet, and vehicle management requirements established in 41 CFR 101-39, 41 CFR 102, and 41 CFR 109
- Experience ensuring adequate controls are documented and utilized to ensure compliance with government and independent audits.
- Knowledge of Worker Safety and Health requirements established in OSHA regulations 29 CFR 1910.
- Experience in establishing a sound quality and safe auto service, property and material handling working environment.
- Strong reasoning and analytical skills.
- Strong interpersonal skills, both verbal and written.
- Strong ability to work with and lead teams.
- Good organizational skills to balance work and prioritize issues.
- Ability to manage and supervise union workers.
- Ability to cooperate and communicate well with others.
- Ability to respond to changing conditions.
- Ability to model Argonne’s Core Values: Impact, Safety, Respect, Integrity, and Teamwork."
Successful applicants for this position will have master’s degree and 4 years’ experience or equivalent relevant experience, must provide proof of U.S. citizenship and pass a drug test prior to employment as defined in 10 CFR 707.4.
Job FamilyProfessional Technical (PT)
Job ProfileSite Operation Services Leader 2
Time TypeFull time
As an equal employment opportunity and affirmative action employer, and in accordance with our core values of impact, safety, respect, integrity and teamwork, Argonne National Laboratory is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace that fosters collaborative scientific discovery and innovation. In support of this commitment, Argonne encourages minorities, women, veterans and individuals with disabilities to apply for employment. Argonne considers all qualified applicants for employment without regard to age, ancestry, citizenship status, color, disability, gender, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, marital status, national origin, pregnancy, race, religion, sexual orientation, veteran status or any other characteristic protected by law.
Argonne employees, and certain guest researchers and contractors, are subject to particular restrictions related to participation in Foreign Government Sponsored or Affiliated Activities, as defined and detailed in United States Department of Energy Order 486.1A. You will be asked to disclose any such participation in the application phase for review by Argonne's Legal Department.
All Argonne offers of employment are contingent upon a background check that includes an assessment of criminal conviction history conducted on an individualized and case-by-case basis. Please be advised that Argonne positions require upon hire (or may require in the future) for the individual be to obtain a government access authorization that involves additional background check requirements. Failure to obtain or maintain such government access authorization could result in the withdrawal of a job offer or future termination of employment.
Argonne is an equal opportunity employer, and we value diversity in our workforce. As an equal employment opportunity and affirmative action employer, Argonne National Laboratory is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace that fosters collaborative scientific discovery and innovation. In support of this commitment, Argonne prohibits discrimination or harassment based on an individual's age, ancestry, citizenship status, color, disability, gender, gender identity, genetic information, marital status, national origin, pregnancy, race, religion, sexual orientation, veteran status or any other characteristic protected by law.