Electrical Engineer/Computer Scientist
Job posting number: #7192226 (Ref:416770)
Posted: November 9, 2023
Argonne National Laboratory is seeking an Engineer (Computer/Electrical) in support of control system design for new sensing technology development. Main responsibilities include:
- Understand and modify existing schematics, printed circuit board layouts, interconnects, and cable design
- Understand communication protocols (TCP/IP, UDP, i2C, and other common serial protocols)
- Design and construct custom printed circuit boards
- Modifying existing Python-based control system software to meet future project needs
- Create new control system software utilizing modern programming design tools and techniques
- Have a knowledge of the operation of photomultiplier tubes
- Design and create intuitive graphical user interfaces (GUIs) to control system applications and work with end users through an iterative process to perfect the GUIs.
- Supporting and enhancing existing control system tools and applications
- Creating relational database applications and web-based tools.
(30%) 1. Maintain and improve the current suite of software tools utilized for experimental operation within the group. This includes adapting these pieces of software to meet the varying needs of the experiments. This task will require the candidate to become fluent in our current software designs and be able to diagnose issues down to the network layer.
(40%) 2. Design new and replacement software and hardware components to improve upon the existing systems.
(15%) 3. Ability to travel 15% of the time is required. Travel includes field trials in domestic and international locations to deploy, test, develop, and gather data on sensor and monitoring systems.
(15%) 4. Assist in long-term planning of project direction and scope as new opportunities arise.
- Master’s Degree or Bachelor’s Degree and 3 years of experience or equivalent for RD2.
- Knowledge of software techniques in connection with control system and sensing applications.
- Applicant must be a U.S. citizen who has or is able to obtain and maintain a "Q" level security clearance.
- Ability to model Argonne’s core values of impact, safety, respect, integrity, and teamwork.
The successful candidate will:
- Have hands-on skills in soldering, basic cable assembly, use of test equipment, basic troubleshooting, and integration of commercial technology into specialized platforms
- Have an undergraduate or graduate degree in computer science or electrical engineering.
- Demonstrate an interest in learning and applying software technologies relevant to the development and maintenance of scientific control systems.
- Be proficient in Python, and have competence in one or more of the following technologies: Linux, make utilities, C, C++, Java, shell scripting, client/server applications, relational databases and User Interface design, web services.
- Have good interpersonal, communication, and presentation skills.
- Be self-motivated, detail-oriented with good programming disciplines including code documentation and version control.
- Be cognizant of good design practices in terms of software and network security.
Job FamilySupport Technical (ST)
Job ProfileElectrical-Electronics Support 2
Worker TypeLong-Term (Fixed Term)
Time TypeFull time
As an equal employment opportunity and affirmative action employer, and in accordance with our core values of impact, safety, respect, integrity and teamwork, Argonne National Laboratory is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace that fosters collaborative scientific discovery and innovation. In support of this commitment, Argonne encourages minorities, women, veterans and individuals with disabilities to apply for employment. Argonne considers all qualified applicants for employment without regard to age, ancestry, citizenship status, color, disability, gender, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, marital status, national origin, pregnancy, race, religion, sexual orientation, veteran status or any other characteristic protected by law.
Argonne employees, and certain guest researchers and contractors, are subject to particular restrictions related to participation in Foreign Government Sponsored or Affiliated Activities, as defined and detailed in United States Department of Energy Order 486.1A. You will be asked to disclose any such participation in the application phase for review by Argonne's Legal Department.
All Argonne offers of employment are contingent upon a background check that includes an assessment of criminal conviction history conducted on an individualized and case-by-case basis. Please be advised that Argonne positions require upon hire (or may require in the future) for the individual be to obtain a government access authorization that involves additional background check requirements. Failure to obtain or maintain such government access authorization could result in the withdrawal of a job offer or future termination of employment.
Argonne is an equal opportunity employer, and we value diversity in our workforce. As an equal employment opportunity and affirmative action employer, Argonne National Laboratory is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace that fosters collaborative scientific discovery and innovation. In support of this commitment, Argonne prohibits discrimination or harassment based on an individual's age, ancestry, citizenship status, color, disability, gender, gender identity, genetic information, marital status, national origin, pregnancy, race, religion, sexual orientation, veteran status or any other characteristic protected by law.