Assistant CTO for Strategy
Job posting number: #7184578 (Ref:hh-63987BR)
Posted: October 5, 2023
Application Deadline: Open Until Filled
Coordinating directly with the CTO, ACTO - Architecture and Operations, and the Principal Data Architect, the ACTO - Strategy and Engagement will be responsible for helping define the HMS technology infrastructure strategy through direct engagement and conversation with IT infrastructure teams and the faculty across HMS and affiliate hospitals. The role will also oversee the customer service, training, and engagement strategy for technology support and services.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities:
- Provide strategic leadership for the planning, development, implementation, and scalable rollout of technology services.
- Work directly with faculty stakeholders to deeply understand desired research outcomes, business needs, and translate those requirements into innovative, scalable technology solutions in collaboration with the IT infrastructure teams.
- Oversee the leadership of teams responsible for direct engagement of faculty and stakeholders
- Plan the engagement, design, planning, implementation, and rollout of innovative technology solutions.
- Leverage data gathering and analytics to drive continuous improvement of services built on ITSM platforms.
- Partner with different administrative offices and affiliate hospitals to provide efficient workflows for operations and support services across the IT infrastructure technology stack.
- Work with the CTO in seeking out and developing partnerships with organizations to incubate and innovate on emerging technologies that can continue to support the teaching and research mission of HMS.
- Abide by and follow the Harvard University IT Code of Conduct
- Other duties as assigned
- Bachelor’s degree in science, Engineering, related field, or equivalent experience.
- 8+ years of relevant work experience.
Additional Qualifications and Skills
- Master's Degree preferred
- Extensive, demonstrated experience engaging with faculty and students in higher education.
- Demonstrated experience developing and leading a team in Academic Technology, Research Computing, or IT Service Desk.
- Demonstrated experience defining and leveraging data analytics and quantitative data gathering techniques to inform technology service and engagement performance.
- Demonstrated experience creating and maintaining a robust technology documentation catalog.
- Proven track record in the development and implementation of large-scale, innovative, strategic technology projects that support institutional goals in higher education.
- Demonstrated experience establishing governance groups in a higher education environment to ensure continuous improvement of technology services.
- Skilled in strategy development, complex project management, and identifying and executing solutions.
- Strong technology strategy experience with a deep understanding of technology in higher education.
- Demonstrated leadership experience with technology project management.
- Solid business acumen; ability to synthesize and analyze information for actionable strategic directions.
- Effective personnel mentorship and leadership skills and experience with developing strong leaders and proficient and diverse staff.
- Experience leading and managing a team of 10 or more technical and engagement staff.
Additional InformationThis position is based in Boston and some in-person on-campus work will be required, and flexible/remote work is an option. Any remote work must be performed in a state in which Harvard is registered to do business (CA*, CT, GA, IL, MA, MD, ME, NH, NJ, NY, RI, VA, VT, and WA). Individual flexible and remote work options for this role will be discussed during the interview process. *Note: Harvard employees working in California must be exempt.
The health of our workforce is a priority for Harvard University. With that in mind, we strongly encourage all employees to be up-to-date on CDC-recommended vaccines.
Please note that we are currently conducting a majority of interviews and onboarding remotely and virtually. We appreciate your understanding.
The Harvard Medical School is not able to provide visa sponsorship for this position.
Not ready to apply? Join our talent community to keep in touch and learn about future opportunities!
Commitment to Equity, Diversity, Inclusion, and BelongingWe are committed to cultivating an inclusive workplace culture of faculty, staff, and students with diverse backgrounds, styles, abilities, and motivations. We appreciate and leverage the capabilities, insights, and ideas of all individuals. Harvard Medical School Mission and Community Values
EEO StatementWe are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, gender identity, sexual orientation, pregnancy and pregnancy-related conditions, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Harvard Medical School strives to cultivate an environment that promotes inclusiveness and collaboration among students, faculty and staff and to create new avenues for discussion that will advance our shared mission to improve the health of people throughout the world.