Instructor/Lecturer in Sports Business
Job posting number: #7182456 (Ref:if123188)
Posted: September 26, 2023
Application Deadline: Open Until Filled
Job Overview: The University of Oklahoma, Price College of Business, Management and International Business Division, is pleased to announce that applications are being accepted for a non-tenure track faculty role, at the rank of instructor or lecturer, in Sports Business. The intent is to identify an industry-experienced practitioner with a background in the business operations of sport including, but not limited to finance, economics, analytics, and esports. Special consideration will be given to those who have a background in esports and a strong desire to use experiential education and/or special projects to teach undergraduate and graduate students in and outside of the classroom.
Teaching responsibilities will primarily focus on undergraduate sports business courses, with the potential for graduate courses in the future. Ideal candidates will value experiential learning and student engagement and can provide evidence of, or potential for, excellence in teaching at the undergraduate and graduate level. In particular, candidates should be able to teach a broad range of sport management courses; including but not limited to Sport Finance, Sport Economics, Sport Leadership, Sport Analytics, Sport Marketing, and Sport Sponsorship/Revenue Generation, and Esports. Applicants must be committed to excellence in teaching, to collegiality, and to fulfilling the mission of Price College (https://www.ou.edu/price).
The University of Oklahoma is a comprehensive research university that was recently rated by Forbes as the top employer for women in the United States. OU offers a wide range of undergraduate, masters, and Ph.D. programs plus an extensive continuing education and public service program. The Michael F. Price College of Business is AACSB accredited at all levels with approximately 5,000 students in bachelors, masters, and Ph.D. programs. The sports business program has approximately 350 students involved in either our undergraduate (BBA) or our minor. An MBA in sports business as well as professional certificates in eSports Management and Collegiate Athletics are proposed to start during the 2024 or 2025 academic years. This position will have a direct impact on those programs.
The Management and International Business Division in the Michael F. Price College of Business is composed of faculty with interests in human resource management, international business, leadership, legal studies, organizational behavior, social issues management, and strategic management. Along with Sports Business the MIB Division offers undergraduate degrees in Energy Management, General Management, and International Business, plus a minor in Leadership. We deliver required courses for all master's programs. In addition, we provide Ph.D. concentrations in Organizational Behavior and International Business.
The city of Norman, Oklahoma, is a vibrant community of approximately 130,000 residents and is often ranked among the lowest in the nation in terms of cost of living. In addition to numerous boutiques, shopping, and restaurants located directly north of campus, Norman is nicknamed the “City of Festivals” due to its numerous art, music, medieval, and other festivals held annually.
In 2015, CBS Sports named the University of Oklahoma as having the best collegiate athletics program in the country, and in 2024, OU will join the Southeastern Conference (SEC). Located less than twenty miles from Norman, Oklahoma City is home to NBA Basketball (Oklahoma City Thunder), AAA Baseball, and USL Champions Division Soccer. Oklahoma City also boasts an Olympic connection with the Boathouse District. This is the training site for USA Rowing’s olympians plus offers numerous recreational boating and cycling opportunities along the Oklahoma River.
Norman is also less than three hours away from the Dallas-Fort Worth Metroplex, one of the fastest growing regions of the United States. In sum, the city of Norman offers all of the benefits of living in a college town, while affording easy access to the amenities of larger cities.
- Teach four courses per semester in topics related to sports business. Opportunities to teach at the MBA level will be available for candidates that qualify.
- Provide guidance and mentorship to students, helping them develop the skills and knowledge they need to succeed in the sports business industry.
- Engage with the university and local community, participating in events, speaking engagements, and other opportunities to share your expertise and build relationships.
- Collaborate with faculty, staff, and other stakeholders to advance the sports business program and contribute to the success of the university.
Top candidates will have the following:
- Experience working in the sports business industry is preferred, but not required. This can include experience in collegiate athletics, NGBs, professional sports, esports, or sports business corporations.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills, with the ability to engage and inspire students in the classroom.
- A passion for teaching and mentorship, and a commitment to helping students succeed.
- A master's degree in sports business, business administration, or a related field. A terminal degree (PhD, JD, EdD, etc.) is preferred, but not required.
All applications should include a current CV, letter of application, and three references. Application materials should be submitted to interfolio.