Patient Educator 2
Job posting number: #7176359 (Ref:ej-4563223)
Posted: September 5, 2023
Application Deadline: Open Until Filled
Patient Educator 2
Job ID: 263055
Location: Augusta University
Full/Part Time: Full Time
Augusta University is Georgia's innovation center for education and health care, training the next generation of innovators, leaders, and healthcare providers in classrooms and clinics on four campuses in Augusta and locations across the state. More than 9,000 students choose Augusta for educational opportunities at the center of Georgia's cybersecurity hub and experiential learning that blends arts and application, humanities, and the health sciences. Augusta is home to Georgia's only public academic health center, where groundbreaking research is creating a healthier, more prosperous Georgia, and world-class clinicians are bringing the medicine of tomorrow to patient care today.
Augusta University -
Our Health Sciences Campus: 1120 15th Street, Augusta, GA 30912
The Medical College of Georgia is one of the nation's largest medical schools by class size, with 260 students per class. The educational experience is anchored by the main campus in Augusta, regional clinical campuses for third- and fourth-year students across the state and a second four-year campus in Athens in partnership with the University of Georgia. MCG's expanding partnerships with physicians and hospitals across Georgia currently provides about 350 sites where students can experience the full spectrum of medicine, from complex care hospitals to small-town solo practices. MCG and its teaching hospitals also provide postgraduate education to more than 500 residents and fellows in 50 different Accreditation Council for Graduate Medical Education-approved programs. Our researchers and clinicians focus on what most impacts the health of Georgia's and America's children and adults, including cardiovascular biology and disease, cancer, neurosciences and behavioral sciences, public and preventive health, regenerative and reparative medicine, personalized medicine and genomics. Our physician faculty also share their expertise with physicians and patients at about 100 clinics and hospitals statewide.
General responsibilities for this position include counselor, social worker, patient educator/advocate, liaison, and center coordinator.
*This position is 100% grant funded.**
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Coordinate the Parkinson's Foundation center of Excellence (COE) at MCG/AU maintain all COE programmatic requirements including fiscal year budget and reporting.
- Support the COE network by working closely with the Foundation and other COE Coordinators/professionals providing leadership opportunities.
- Facilitate communication between patients and other members of the Movement and Memory Disorder Team. This includes, alerting the team about psychological and social concerns patients or families may be experiencing and developing a plan for meeting those needs.
- Promote a multidisciplinary approach to help patients manage disease and their quality of life.
- Help patients and families navigate a disease treatment plan, promoting empowerment and self advocacy.
- Educate Family Members, friends, the community and other health care professions and non-PD/Memory specialists.
- Utilize and share Parkinson's Foundation information and resources with patients and families, staff and community ensuring that in particular Parkinson's Foundation materials are readily accessible.
- Coordinate the planning and execution of outreach programs and events
- Participate in Parkinson's and Dementia meetings, taking and sharing information and acting as a resource, presenter and/or advisor throughout the Parkinson's Foundation Center of Excellence network.
- Organize and implement specialized clinics for Movement Disorder patients to include the Palliative/Supportive Care Clinic.
- Develop a social worker care plan for patients with Parkinson's disease, related movement disorders, Alzheimer's disease and related dementias. Assist with completing disability forms and other social work needs of patient and their families.
- Serve as the institutional point of contact for local Parkinson's support groups.
- Recruit subjects for clinical trials.
- Perform all other job-related duties as assigned.
Bachelor's degree from an accredited college or university with a minimum of three years of applicable related experience
Knowledge, Skills, & Abilities
Ability to maintain confidentiality. Excellent interpersonal, verbal and written communication skills. Detail oriented. Proficient in Microsoft Office and other computer software/databases.
Shift: Days; Monday - Friday (work outside of the normal business hours will likely be required of an employee in an exempt level position)
Pay Grade: 16
Salary Minimum: $41,846 - Midpoint: $56,492
Salary to be commensurate with qualifications of the selected candidate within the established range (generally minimum-midpoint) of the position
Recruitment Period: 9/1/23 - Until Filled
Augusta University offers a variety of benefits to full-time benefits-eligible employees and some of our half-time (or more) employees.
Benefits that may be elected could include health insurance, dental insurance, life insurance, Teachers Retirement System (or Optional Retirement Plan), as well as earned vacation time, sick leave, and 13 paid holidays.
Also, our full-time employees who have been employed with us successfully for more than 6 months can be considered for the Tuition Assistance Program. Consider applying with us today!
Conditions of Employment
All selected candidates are required to successfully pass a Background Check review prior to starting with Augusta University.
The primary work location for this position is within the Augusta University Medical Center or other Augusta University Health System Clinic Space and is subject to the Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services guidelines. The selected candidate will be required to provide proof of COVID vaccination or an approved exemption. Your application to this position confirms you are aware of this requirement and agree to provide proof of either COVID vaccination or our organization's approval of a medical or religious exemption.
All employees are responsible for ensuring the confidentiality, availability, and integrity of sensitive [patient, student, employee, financial, business, etc.] information by exercising sound judgment and adhering to cybersecurity and privacy policies during their employment and beyond.
This position is also responsible for promoting a customer-friendly environment and providing superior service to our patients, students, faculty, and employees. "Augusta University is a patient-and family-centered care institution, where employees partner every day with patients and families for success."
Augusta University is a tobacco-free environment, and the use of any tobacco products on any part of the campus, both inside and outside, is strictly prohibited.
Equal Employment Opportunity
Augusta University is proud to be an equal opportunity employer welcoming applicants from underrepresented groups, including individuals with disabilities and veterans.
How To Apply
Consider applying with us today!
https://www.augusta.edu/hr/jobs/ Search Job Opening ID: 263055
Select University Faculty & Staff > External Applicants if you are a candidate from outside the university
Select University Faculty & Staff > Internal Applicants if you are a current university employee
If you need further assistance, please contact us at 706-721-9365
To apply, visit https://careers.hprod.onehcm.usg.edu/psp/careers/CAREERS/HRMS/c/HRS_HRAM_FL.HRS_CG_SEARCH_FL.GBL?Page=HRS_APP_JBPST_FL&Action=U&FOCUS=Applicant&SiteId=12000&JobOpeningId=263055&PostingSeq=1