RN III - Float Nurse - $10K Sign On Bonus
City of Hope
Job posting number: #7143567 (Ref:10020137)
Posted: May 25, 2023
Salary / Pay Rate: $51.84 - $77.76 / hour
Application Deadline: Open Until Filled
About City of Hope
City of Hope is an independent biomedical research and treatment organization for cancer, diabetes and other life-threatening diseases.
Founded in 1913, City of Hope is a leader in bone marrow transplantation and immunotherapy such as CAR T cell therapy. City of Hope’s translational research and personalized treatment protocols advance care throughout the world. Human synthetic insulin, monoclonal antibodies and numerous breakthrough cancer drugs are based on technology developed at the institution. AccessHope™, a subsidiary launched in 2019 serves employers and their health care partners by providing access to City of Hope’s specialized cancer expertise.
A National Cancer Institute-designated comprehensive cancer center and a founding member of the National Comprehensive Cancer Network, City of Hope is ranked among the nation’s “Best Hospitals” in cancer by U.S. News & World Report and received Magnet Recognition from the American Nurses Credentialing Center. Its main campus is located near Los Angeles, with additional locations throughout Southern California and in Arizona.
City of Hope’s commitment to Diversity, Equity and Inclusion
We believe diversity, equity and inclusion is key in serving our mission to provide compassionate patient care, drive innovative discovery, and advance vital education focused on eliminating cancer and diabetes in all of our communities. Our commitment to Diversity, Equity and Inclusion ensures we bring the full range of skills, perspectives, cultural backgrounds and experiences to our work -- and that our teams align with the people we serve in order to build trust and understanding. We are dedicated to fostering a community that embraces diversity - in ideas, backgrounds and perspectives; this is reflected in our work and represented in our people.
Under the supervision of the Nurse Manager provides professional nursing care for City of Hope patients at various Community Practice locations. The Float Pool Nurse exercises skill proper clinical judgment to provide quality, safe, efficient care to City of Hope oncology patients.
Key Responsibilities Include:
- Greets patients and escorts them to a treatment chair or bed
- Assists physician in preparing for minor procedures
- Provides general nursing care to patients; administers and controls narcotics, prescribed medications, mixes and administers chemotherapy treatments in accordance with nursing standards.
- Observes, records and reports patient’s condition and reaction to drugs and treatments to physician and records in EMR; administers prescribed medications as directed
- Updates patient chart utilizing EMR
- Oversees infusion appointment bookings and ensures emergency situations are scheduled appropriately; maintains timely flow of patients.
- Responds to and refers incoming telephone calls.
- Instructs patient and family regarding treatment medications, side effects and gives instruction on how to alleviate systems.
- Telephone prescription requests to pharmacy or utilizes electronic transmission of prescriptions in EMR
- Disposes of contaminated items according to OSHA, CLIA and COLA regulations
- Follows all OSHA guidelines to minimize exposure to blood borne pathogens
- Communicates physician referral requests to staff via EMR for necessary processing
- Ensures proper insurance authorization prior to treatment
- Performs patient education when appropriate
- Replenishes supplies, stocks and cleans infusion rooms and manages pharmaceutical supplies
- Oversees infusion room and medical assistant’s preparation of infusion room, including re-stocking of treatment areas.
- Participates in professional development activities and maintain professional affiliations.
- Follows established CCSMG policies, procedures, objectives, performance improvement, attendance, safety, environmental and infection control guidelines.
- Practices a high level of integrity and honesty in maintaining patient confidentiality
- Arranges for all biohazardous waste pick-up
- Attends annual CPR, OSHA, CLIA and COLA training programs
- Attends all regular staff meetings
- Adheres to all documentation guidelines as instructed by Practice Administrator and Clinical Director and provides accurate documentation in the patient’s electronic medical record.
- Performs all other tasks and projects assigned by the Clinical Director, Practice Administrator or the physician
- Utilizes leadership skills in overseeing and assisting other members of the health care team to prioritize and resolve issues
- Demonstrates a level of professional practice that supports the delivery of appropriated care and positive working relationships.
- Ability to plan and carry out responsibilities with supervision
- Working knowledge of managed care basics
- Good verbal and written communication skills
- Excellent interpersonal skills with other departments.
- Ability to travel to multiple City of Hope locations within region required
Follows established City of Hope and department policies, procedures, objectives, performance improvement, attendance, safety, environmental, and infection control guidelines, includingadherence to theworkplaceCode of Conduct and Compliance Plan. Practices a high level of integrity and honesty in maintaining confidentiality.
Performs other related duties as assigned or requested.
Basic education, experience and skills required for consideration:
- Associates degree in nursing
- Training in specialty specific nursing care (Oncology, Infusion)
- 3+ years of experience as a Registered Nurse
- Current and valid California Registered Nurse Licensure
- Current American Heart Association BLS certification
- If the RN is working within Medical Oncology, an ONS certificate is required
Preferred education, experience and skills:
- Bachelor’s degree in nursing
- Electronic Medical Record (EMR) experience
Schedule: 8 hrs, 3 days (Part-time)
This role floats to other Community Practices in Orange County ( Newport Beach, Huntington Beach as needed)
Pay Rate: $51.83 - $77.75
- As a condition of employment, City of Hope requires staff to comply with all state and federal vaccination mandates.
Salary / Pay Rate Information:
Pay Rate: $51.84 - $77.76 / hour
The estimated pay scale represents the typical [salary/hourly] range City of Hope reasonably expects to pay for this position, with offers determined based on several factors which may include, but not be limited to, the candidate’s experience, expertise, skills, education, job scope, training, internal equity, geography/market, etc. This pay scale is subject to change from time to time.
City of Hope is a community of people characterized by our diversity of thought, background and approach, but tied together by our commitment to care for and cure those with cancer and other life-threatening diseases. The innovation that our diversity produces in the areas of research, treatment, philanthropy and education has made us national leaders in this fight. Our unique and diverse workforce provides us the ability to understand our patients' needs, deliver compassionate care and continue the quest for a cure for life-threatening diseases. At City of Hope, diversity and inclusion is a core value at the heart of our mission. We strive to create an inclusive workplace environment that engages all of our employees and provides them with opportunities to develop and grow, both personally and professionally. Each day brings an opportunity to strengthen our work, leverage our different perspectives and improve our patients’ experiences by learning from others. Diversity and inclusion is about much more than policies and campaigns. It is an integral part of who we are as an institution, how we operate and how we see our future.