Research Associate - Mechanistic Enzymology
Baylor College of Medicine
Job posting number: #7135932 (Ref:15132-en_US)
Posted: March 24, 2023
Application Deadline: Open Until Filled
A Research Associate position in mechanistic enzymology is available in the Department of Pharmacology and Chemical Biology at Baylor College of Medicine. The laboratory is interested in the structure and mechanism of antibiotic resistance enzymes. In particular, we are interested in the structural and mechanistic basis of action of naturally occurring, drug-resistant variants of beta-lactamase enzymes that result in the inactivation of beta-lactam antibiotics.
The Research Associate will use molecular biology, protein purification, protein chemistry, and X-ray crystallography methods to study protein structure function. The Research Associate will work with a team of postdocs, technicians, and graduate students, and will report to the lab PI.
- Protein purification Protein characterization and analysis
- Protein structure determination by X-ray crystallography
- Present results to PI, and peers
- Assist in the preparation of manuscripts and grant proposals
- Assist PI with mentoring of junior lab members
- Master's degree in Basic Science or a related field. Experience in lieu of degree will not be accepted.
- Three years of relevant experience typically as a Research Assistant, Research Technician or Postdoctoral Fellow/Associate.
- Experience in protein purification, enzymology, and X-ray crystallography
- Must have a Ph.D. or M.D. degree and a strong record of productivity as evidenced by publications
- Written and oral presentation skills as well as the ability to collaborate effectively are essential
Baylor College of Medicine requires employees to be fully vaccinated -subject to approved exemptions-against vaccine-preventable diseases including, but not limited to, COVID-19 and influenza.
Baylor College of Medicine is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action/Equal Access Employer.
Baylor College of Medicine fosters diversity among its students, trainees, faculty and staff as a prerequisite to accomplishing our institutional mission, and setting standards for excellence in training healthcare providers and biomedical scientists, promoting scientific innovation, and providing patient-centered care. - Diversity, respect, and inclusiveness create an environment that is conducive to academic excellence, and strengthens our institution by increasing talent, encouraging creativity, and ensuring a broader perspective. - Diversity helps position Baylor to reduce disparities in health and healthcare access and to better address the needs of the community we serve. - Baylor is committed to recruiting and retaining outstanding students, trainees, faculty and staff from diverse backgrounds by providing a welcoming, supportive learning environment for all members of the Baylor community.