Surgical Technologist II - Operating Room/Surgery (Irvine, CA)
City of Hope
Job posting number: #7135486 (Ref:10020747)
Posted: March 22, 2023
Salary / Pay Rate: $30.21 - $45.32 / hour
Application Deadline: Open Until Filled
About City of Hope
City of Hope's mission is to deliver the cures of tomorrow to the people who need them today. Founded in 1913,City of Hopehas grown into one of the largest cancer research and treatment organizations in the U.S. and one of the leading research centers for diabetes and other life-threatening illnesses. City of Hope research has been the basis fornumerous breakthrough cancer medicines, as well as human synthetic insulin and monoclonal antibodies. With an independent, National Cancer Institute-designated comprehensive cancer center at its core, City of Hope brings a uniquely integrated model to patients spanning cancer care, research and development, academics and training, and innovation initiatives. City of Hope’s growing national system includes its Los Angeles campus, a network of clinical care locations across Southern California, a new cancer center in Orange County, California, andtreatment facilities in Atlanta, Chicago and Phoenix. City of Hope’s affiliated family of organizations includesTranslational Genomics Research InstituteandAccessHopeTM. For more information about City of Hope, follow us onFacebook,Twitter,YouTube,InstagramandLinkedIn.
City of Hope’s commitment to Diversity, Equity and Inclusion
We believe diversity, equity and inclusion is key in serving our mission to provide compassionate patient care, drive innovative discovery, and advance vital education focused on eliminating cancer and diabetes in all of our communities. Our commitment to Diversity, Equity and Inclusion ensures we bring the full range of skills, perspectives, cultural backgrounds and experiences to our work -- and that our teams align with the people we serve in order to build trust and understanding. We are dedicated to fostering a community that embraces diversity - in ideas, backgrounds and perspectives; this is reflected in our work and represented in our people.
Performs a variety of technical duties to assist with surgical and/or endoscopic procedures. Serves as a member of the Operating Room Team playing a vital role in setting up and maintaining the sterile field for surgery. Assists with the care of the patient by anticipating the needs of the surgeon, proceduralist, surgery and procedure. Participates in the maintenance and re-stocking of supply levels, and the cleaning and decontamination of equipment, rooms, and instruments. Participates in activities to ensure regulatory compliance and survey readiness.
Key Responsibilities include:
- Assists surgeons/proceduralists during operative/invasive procedure, assuring that necessary supplies, instruments, and equipment are ready and/or available and anticipates such needs
- Maintains sterile techniques; actively monitors situations which could lead to breaches in sterile technique and communicates any breaks in techniques noted.
- Establishes and maintains interpersonal relationships with patients, visitors and other hospital personnel, working directly with the RN circulator to care for the patient under their direction.
- Maintains confidentiality of patient information and unit care data.
- Participates in educational programs and in-service meetings. Serve as clinical mentor to others.
- Assists with care and maintenance of department equipment and supplies; Actively participating in turnover processes, stocking of rooms, and proper care of instruments.
- Maintains and promotes clinical competence and expertise of self to ensure clinical excellence, patient safety and positive clinical outcomes.
- Performs other related duties as assigned or requested per the department or leadership.
Basic education, experience and skills required for consideration:
Minimum Education: Post High School Vocational/Specialized Training; Experience may substitute for minimum education requirements
Minimum Experience: 3 years of experience scrubbing major and/or endoscopic cases in a hospital setting
- Current CST (Surgical Technologist Certification) by appropriate accredited organization or must Participate in a UBC/Work Group and provide 1 in-service per year
- Maintains knowledge in surgical and medical technology through in services/courses. Must pass department preceptor course within 6 months of being promoted into role.
- CPR (through American Heart Association
- Eligible for $5,000 sign-on bonus
- Day shift
- 12-hour shifts (06:30am – 07:00pm)
Salary / Pay Rate Information:
Pay Rate: $30.21 - $45.32 / hour
The estimated pay scale represents the typical [salary/hourly] range City of Hope reasonably expects to pay for this position, with offers determined based on several factors which may include, but not be limited to, the candidate’s experience, expertise, skills, education, job scope, training, internal equity, geography/market, etc. This pay scale is subject to change from time to time.
City of Hope is a community of people characterized by our diversity of thought, background and approach, but tied together by our commitment to care for and cure those with cancer and other life-threatening diseases. The innovation that our diversity produces in the areas of research, treatment, philanthropy and education has made us national leaders in this fight. Our unique and diverse workforce provides us the ability to understand our patients' needs, deliver compassionate care and continue the quest for a cure for life-threatening diseases. At City of Hope, diversity and inclusion is a core value at the heart of our mission. We strive to create an inclusive workplace environment that engages all of our employees and provides them with opportunities to develop and grow, both personally and professionally. Each day brings an opportunity to strengthen our work, leverage our different perspectives and improve our patients’ experiences by learning from others. Diversity and inclusion is about much more than policies and campaigns. It is an integral part of who we are as an institution, how we operate and how we see our future.