Medical Assistant I
Baylor College of Medicine
Job posting number: #7134588 (Ref:15114-en_US)
Posted: March 17, 2023
Application Deadline: Open Until Filled
Baylor College of Medicine is seeking a highly motivated and self confident medical assistant who is comfortable utilizing technology to engage with patients and providers. The medical assistant will be required to provide ample support to clinicians and patients before and after their appointments. The medical assistant will work directly with multiple providers to provide high quality patient care.
- Confirms patient appointments 1 – 2 weeks out by ensuring patients receive new patient paperwork to complete prior to appointment and are aware to bring any medical records that are relevant to their visit. The medical assistant should also ensure patients are scheduled with the appropriate provider.
- Obtains referring provider information and request relevant medical records and referrals prior to appointment.
- Displays proficiency in ability to successfully obtain vital signs.
- Schedules and assist with in office procedures.
- Manages high volume patient clinics and calls required.
- Answers patient calls in a competent, professional and timely manner.
- Assists clinicians with medication refills and prior authorizations.
- Assists clinicians with imaging orders and prior authorizations.
- Assists clinicians with medical record review to determine scheduling needs of patient.
- Utilizes electronic health record (Epic) in interactions with patients and referring provider offices for documentation.
- Utilizes electronic health record (Epic) to upload patient records.
- Utilizes imaging software (PACS) to upload images.
- Assists with other duties.
- Demonstrates effective communication, time management, teamwork, organization, multi-tasking and professionalism skills in all aspects of role.
- Supports Baylor College of Medicine initiatives pertaining to patient care related to the novel coronavirus pandemic.
- High school diploma or GED.
- Completion of an approved Medical Assistant Training program through an accredited institution.
- Current certification as a Medical Assistant through an accredited professional organization (AAMA, AMT, ARMA, NCCT, NAHP, NHA, NAHP, or AMCA). New employees who are not currently certified, must obtain certification within six months of employment.
- Current Basic Life Support (BLS) Certification through American Heart Association.
- Previous experience in specialty practice.
- Previous experience using electronic health records.
- Previous experience scheduling/assisting with procedures, utilizing a C-ARM and autoclave.
Baylor College of Medicine requires employees to be fully vaccinated -subject to approved exemptions-against vaccine-preventable diseases including, but not limited to, COVID-19 and influenza.
Baylor College of Medicine is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action/Equal Access Employer.
Baylor College of Medicine fosters diversity among its students, trainees, faculty and staff as a prerequisite to accomplishing our institutional mission, and setting standards for excellence in training healthcare providers and biomedical scientists, promoting scientific innovation, and providing patient-centered care. - Diversity, respect, and inclusiveness create an environment that is conducive to academic excellence, and strengthens our institution by increasing talent, encouraging creativity, and ensuring a broader perspective. - Diversity helps position Baylor to reduce disparities in health and healthcare access and to better address the needs of the community we serve. - Baylor is committed to recruiting and retaining outstanding students, trainees, faculty and staff from diverse backgrounds by providing a welcoming, supportive learning environment for all members of the Baylor community.