Research Assistant I
Baylor College of Medicine
Job posting number: #7128049 (Ref:15091-en_US)
Posted: March 15, 2023
Application Deadline: Open Until Filled
This is a Research Assistant Position in an Institutional Advanced Technology Core (ATC) with the mission of supporting the advancement of biomedical research at BCM and the development and application of cutting-edge technologies. We are seeking a candidate who is highly motivated for laboratory bench research and technology development and is well organized with excellent communication skills. The position reports directly to the Core Director who is a basic scientist faculty. The major responsibility is to conduct high-throughput antibody based proteomics including protein array and bead-based assays as a core service in support of collaborative research with a broad range of BCM faculty. Additional responsibilities include data management and reporting, Q/C and Q/I procedures, maintenance of high-end instrumentation, participation in projects to develop new technology platforms and some general laboratory management duties such as inventory and ordering supplies.
- Perform targeted proteomic platform laboratory technologies that are standard operating procedures (SOP) as Core services.
- Prepare experimental samples for targeted proteomic SOPs including cell and tissue protein extracts, body fluids, Q/C and quantification of protein samples and purification of proteins and other samples used as controls.
- Perform SOPs and in an independent manner once trained.
- Operate, program, maintain and trouble shoot advanced robotic instrumentation and scanners for proteomic platforms.
- Inventory and validation by immunochemical assays of antibodies used for protein array platforms.
- Q/C analysis of raw proteomic data sets and management of processed primary data.
- Careful, timely and thorough documentation and reporting of Core supported user projects.
- Research and development of new technology platforms and methods under the direction of Core Director.
- Administrative lab management duties including maintaining inventory of lab supplies and reagents, placing orders, shipping and receiving of experimental protein samples.
- Communicate with team members and researchers.
- Bachelor's degree in a Basic Science or a related field.
- Two years of relevant experience.
- Areas of research experience include protein biochemistry, protein isolation and purification, cell and tissue fraction for extraction of proteins, quantification of proteins, immunochemical methods for protein detection, QC procedures, data analysis software and computational skills with regard to biotechnology.
- Other preferred experience is with automated robotics instrumentation and associated software platforms, cell culture methods and high throughput assays.
Baylor College of Medicine requires employees to be fully vaccinated -subject to approved exemptions-against vaccine-preventable diseases including, but not limited to, COVID-19 and influenza.
Baylor College of Medicine is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action/Equal Access Employer.
Baylor College of Medicine fosters diversity among its students, trainees, faculty and staff as a prerequisite to accomplishing our institutional mission, and setting standards for excellence in training healthcare providers and biomedical scientists, promoting scientific innovation, and providing patient-centered care. - Diversity, respect, and inclusiveness create an environment that is conducive to academic excellence, and strengthens our institution by increasing talent, encouraging creativity, and ensuring a broader perspective. - Diversity helps position Baylor to reduce disparities in health and healthcare access and to better address the needs of the community we serve. - Baylor is committed to recruiting and retaining outstanding students, trainees, faculty and staff from diverse backgrounds by providing a welcoming, supportive learning environment for all members of the Baylor community.