Senior Scientist I
Harvard Medical School
Job posting number: #7127845 (Ref:hh-61801BR)
Posted: March 12, 2023
Application Deadline: Open Until Filled
What you'll do:
- Formulate, design, invent and develop new material platforms including new delivery technologies. Develop associated manufacturing processes to support pre-clinical and clinical studies
- Collaborate with biological scientists, engineers and clinicians to develop material- based immunotherapies
- Contribute to writing research proposals, grant submissions and patent applications in concert with other team members
- Collaborate with faculty and other researchers on writing manuscripts, abstracts and other publications
- Support external collaboration opportunities with the business development team
- Mentor and train others
- Present research results at Wyss internal and external meetings
- Demonstrate a commitment to diversity, inclusion, personal accountability and cultural awareness through actions, interactions, and communications with others
What you'll need:
- Advanced degree in polymer chemistry, bioengineering, chemical engineering, material science.or directly related discipline.
- A minimum of six years of experience in biomaterials engineering and synthesis. A PhD may count towards years of experience.
This position will be based on our campus in Boston, MA and will require on-campus presence. Subject to business needs, the Wyss Institute generally supports flexible work arrangements.
Harvard University continues to place the highest priority on the health, safety and wellbeing of its faculty, staff, and students, as well as the wider community. Please note that all new employees will be required to provide confirmation of primary series COVID-19 vaccination upon hire, as detailed on our COVID-19 Vaccine Requirement Webpage. Harvard University Health Services employees and other health care individuals are also required to be up to date on vaccination as described by the CDC. Individuals may claim exemption from the vaccine requirement for medical or religious reasons. Additional information regarding this requirement, exemptions, verification of vaccination status, and other related policies and resources may be found on the University’s COVID-19 Information Website.
Additional Qualifications and Skills
- PhD is preferred.
- Experience with general regulatory and GMP requirements for material preparation in support of pre-clinical or clinical studies, and IND filing is preferred.
- Product development and manufacturing experience in either industry or other translationally focused experience is preferred.
- Ability to seek out collaborations and manage and mentor others.
- Product design R&D experience.
- Experience with quality management systems and translational operations.
- Demonstrated success in leading and working in cross-functional teams. Excellent documentation, analytical, communication, and inter-personal skills.
- Ability to thrive in a fast-paced translational environment and comfortable with change.
Offer contingent on successful completion of pre-placement medical evaluation.
Why you’ll like working with us:
At the Wyss Institute, you’re a member of a supportive, dynamic community that is united by its shared goal of changing the world through groundbreaking technology development and commercialization. We encourage your professional growth and development through mentorship and tuition reimbursement to support continued learning, and more. We also support your physical, financial, and mental well-being through generous time off benefits, gym reimbursements, and other programs offered through Harvard. Our community will be relocating to a new, state of the art life sciences building in the lively Fenway neighborhood in spring 2023, where you will have access to multiple amenities including a roof terrace with stunning views of Boston and proximity to numerous restaurants and cultural attractions. We value an inclusive and diverse workforce, and believe that our differences enrich the work environment for all.
Our outstanding benefits package includes:
- Time Off: 3 - 4 weeks paid vacation, paid holiday break, 12 paid sick days, 12.5 paid holidays, and 3 paid personal days per year.
- Medical/Dental/Vision: We offer a variety of excellent medical plans, dental & vision plans, all coverage begins as of your start date.
- Retirement: University-funded retirement plan contributions from 5% to 15% of eligible compensation, based on age and earnings with full vesting after 3 years of service.
- Tuition Assistance Program: Competitive tuition assistance program, $40 per class at the Harvard Extension School and discounted options through participating Harvard grad schools.
- Transportation: Harvard offers a 50% discounted MBTA pass as well as additional options to assist employees in their daily commute.
- Wellness options: Harvard offers programs and classes at little or no cost, including stress management, massages, nutrition, meditation and complimentary health services.
- Facilities access and Discounts: Harvard access to athletic facilities, libraries, campus events and many discounts throughout metro Boston.
Not ready to apply? Join our talent community to stay up to date on career information and the latest news from the Wyss Institute.
Harvard is unable to provide visa sponsorship for this position.
Commitment to Equity, Diversity, Inclusion, and Belonging
As a collaborative organization, we at the Wyss Institute know that great innovation happens when diverse perspectives come together to solve problems. As a result, we are committed to cultivating and preserving a culture of inclusion and connectedness both in and out of the lab. When recruiting for our team, we welcome the unique contributions that you will bring in terms of education, culture, ethnicity, race, sex, gender identity and expression, nation of origin, age, languages spoken, veteran’s status, religion, disability, and sexual orientation. We believe these differences in background, experience, and perspective enrich our work environment and are essential to our mission of solving complex problems through technology development and translation.
EEO StatementWe are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, gender identity, sexual orientation, pregnancy and pregnancy-related conditions, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Harvard Medical School strives to cultivate an environment that promotes inclusiveness and collaboration among students, faculty and staff and to create new avenues for discussion that will advance our shared mission to improve the health of people throughout the world.