Job posting number: #7126616 (Ref:hh-61649BR)
Posted: February 24, 2023
Application Deadline: Open Until Filled
- As a member of the HMS Media Services group, the Audio Visual Engineer will participate in the implementation, installation, and tier III support of all AV systems for classrooms, meeting/event spaces and video production studios.
- The position will maintain and support effective and easy to use AV solutions that solve business problems for a dynamic community through content sharing, web/video conferencing, on-demand and live streaming, and video recording/production. The position will support teaching, learning, communication, as well as in-person, remote and dynamic collaboration across HMS.
- In addition, the position will contribute to the engineering effort to evaluate, define, and document HMS audiovisual standards, and best practices. The AV Engineer will partner with other IT groups to ensure interoperability. Additionally, the AV Engineer will work effectively with AV vendors, consultants, and integration providers.
PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Participate in the build, configuration, and documentation of IT infrastructure.
- Occasionally oversee contractors in support of smaller projects and system maintenance, ensuring systems are fully commissioned and as-built documentation is provided
- Maintain physical AV inventory and inventory database
- Maintain AV project plans and documentation
- Provide Tier III, advanced technical support for in-room AV systems, as well as cloud video solutions such as Zoom and Panopto
- Maintain and support other IT and AV infrastructure, ensuring adherence to standards and service level objectives
- Troubleshoot and manage escalations
- Collaborate with IT colleagues in planning and performing regular system maintenance across all systems in support of AV
- Support and collaborate with customers, internal and external partners
- Monitor systems performance and make recommendations
- Maintain knowledge of new and emerging AV hardware, software, and cloud platforms
- Collaborate on the development of documentation and training content for students, faculty, staff, and hospital affiliates
- Other duties as assigned.
- Abide by and follow the Harvard University IT technical standards, policies and Code of Conduct
- Minimum of two years’ post-secondary education or relevant work experience
- Occasionally required to work outside of normal business hours, and may be called during off hours
Additional Qualifications and Skills
- Experience with one of the following: audio and video systems, web conferencing platforms, live streaming, and on-demand streaming platforms
- Experience in managing multiple tasks
- Ability to lift and transport objects less than 70 pounds
- One or more of the following certifications: Crestron Core, Extron AV Associate, Biamp Tesira
- Knowledge of service management software
- Skill in reading technical drawings
- Demonstrated analytical and problem-solving skills
- Experience with a variety of leading AV manufacturers such as Legrand, Bi Amp, Crestron, Sony and others
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Excellent oral and written communication skills, with the ability to share information effectively and confidently to internal and external audiences of varying levels of technical knowledge
- Customer service experience
- Experience with cloud and on-prem video platforms such as Zoom, Cisco, Panopto
- Demonstrated “can do” work ethic coupled with effective time management and ability to overcome ambiguous or under-defined problems, simplify and clarify objectives
- Experience working in a life sciences or higher education environment
- Experience with video broadcast or video production preferred
- Excellent time management, organization, planning skills, and ability to operate with minimal supervision
- Participate in off-hours on-call schedule
- Participate in off-hours coverage for major events, upgrades, and other duties related to the position
Additional InformationThis is an in-person position based on our campus in Boston.
This is a one-year term position from the date of hire, with the possibility of extension, contingent upon work performance and continued funding to support the position.
The University requires all Harvard community members to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 and remain up to date with COVID-19 vaccine boosters, as detailed in Harvard’s Vaccine & Booster Requirements. Individuals may claim exemption from the vaccine requirement for medical or religious reasons. More information regarding the University’s COVID vaccination requirement, exemptions, and verification of vaccination status may be found at the University’s “COVID-19 Vaccine Information” webpage: http://www.harvard.edu/coronavirus/covid-19-vaccine-information/.
Please note that we are currently conducting a majority of interviews and onboarding remotely and virtually. We appreciate your understanding.
Harvard University offers an outstanding benefits package including:
- Time Off: 3 - 4 weeks paid vacation, paid holiday break, 12 paid sick days, 12.5 paid holidays, and 3 paid personal days per year.
- Medical/Dental/Vision: We offer a variety of excellent medical plans, dental & vision plans, all coverage begins as of your start date.
- Retirement: University-funded retirement plan with full vesting after 3 years of service.
- Tuition Assistance Program: Competitive tuition assistance program, incredibly affordable classes directly at the Harvard Extension School, and discounted options through participating Harvard grad schools.
- Transportation: Harvard offers a 50% discounted MBTA pass as well as additional options to assist employees in their daily commute.
- Wellness Options: Harvard offers programs and classes at little or no cost, including stress management, massages, nutrition, meditation, and complementary health services.
- Harvard access to athletic facilities, libraries, campus events, and many discounts throughout metro Boston.
Not ready to apply? Join our talent community to keep in touch and learn about future opportunities!
Commitment to Equity, Diversity, Inclusion, and BelongingWe are committed to cultivating an inclusive workplace culture of faculty, staff, and students with diverse backgrounds, styles, abilities, and motivations. We appreciate and leverage the capabilities, insights, and ideas of all individuals. Harvard Medical School Mission and Community Values
EEO StatementWe are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, gender identity, sexual orientation, pregnancy and pregnancy-related conditions, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Harvard Medical School strives to cultivate an environment that promotes inclusiveness and collaboration among students, faculty and staff and to create new avenues for discussion that will advance our shared mission to improve the health of people throughout the world.