Job posting number: #7107361 (Ref:ccf16410589)
Posted: August 4, 2022
Application Deadline: Open Until Filled
Conducts quality laboratory testing and result reporting.
- Conducts quality laboratory testing and result reporting.
- Ensures that results are reported in compliance with the goals and standards of the department, hospital and applicable accrediting organizations (AHCA, CLIA, COLA, and JCAHO).
- Accurately identifies each patient specimen and testing orders and ensures results are accurate and reported in a timely manner.
- Ensures specimen integrity and identification and resolves specimens not meeting testing criteria.
- Identifies and resolves pending specimen results from laboratory information system for assigned departments.
- Reports pertinent information to the physician, patient care area or supervisor (e.g., panic values, instrument malfunctions, delay in testing, reagent or supply depletion).
- Notes “dates opened” and “expiration dates” on reagents, controls, etc., and uses reagents and controls only to their expiration dates.
- Maintains cleanliness of work areas and keeps work areas Organizational and stocked.
- Follows safety procedures and utilizes all safety devices and personal protective equipment per protocol.
- Follows troubleshooting procedures to correct deficiencies or problems as they occur with instruments and equipment.
- Ensures instrument operation and results are reliable and performs maintenance checks, start ups, and shut downs as assigned or required.
- Answers the telephone, greets customers and provides consult and technical support to the physicians, phlebotomists and nursing staff.
- Follows quality control policy and ensures controls are within acceptable limits before patient results are reported.
- Documents quality control and out of range results in an appropriate manner.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Associates Degree in Chemical Sciences, Physical Sciences, Biological Sciences, Medical Technology or equivalent required.
- Bachelor Degree in Chemical Sciences, Physical Sciences, Biological Sciences and Medical Technology preferred.
- Must be licensed in the State of Florida at the technologist levels.
- All specialties required Microbiology, Immunohematology, Chemistry, Hematology license.
- American Society for Clinical Pathology (ASCP) certification is preferred.
Complexity of Work:
- All employees are expected to meet the standards of performance outlined in the Organizational-Wide Competencies listed below as applied to the position:
- World Class Service Orientation: Includes attitude, behavior, interpersonal skill, and problem solving that enable an employee to respond to internal and external customer needs and expectations in a positive manner.
- Adaptability: Includes teamwork and flexibility needed to fulfill job responsibilities including adapting to changes in work environment and accepting supervisory feedback.
- Efficiency and Effectiveness: Includes quantity and quality of desired work, as well as organization skills necessary to perform successfully.
- Essential Job Requirements: Includes adherence to all relevant policies, procedures, and guidelines affecting the work environment, including maintenance of required competencies and communication skills.
- Managerial Responsibilities: Includes overall accountability for assigned work group relative to operational goals, personnel requirements, and budgetary constraints.
- Note: The above stated duties are intended to outline those functions typically performed by individuals assigned to this classification.
- This description of duties is not intended to be all inclusive nor to limit the discretionary authority of supervisors to assign other tasks of similar nature or level of responsibility.
- One (1) year clinical experience preferred.
- This position involves turning, stooping, bending, stretching, walking and standing.
- The average amount of lifting is 10 pounds with occasional carrying of objects up to 20 pounds.
- Sitting for short periods of time, the ability to file, move records, laboratory supplies, and equipment are also required physical duties.
- Communication by means of the spoken, written and typed word is required.
- Work requires finger dexterity and eye hand coordination to operate a computer keyboard at a moderate skill level.
- Mental Demands: Ability to work at a fast pace and to prioritize multiple assignments/projects and respond to numerous requests; ability to resolve conflicts among staff and to work collaboratively with department director, physicians and other members of the healthcare team; ability to ensure operational efficiency; ability to problem solve and make decisions; ability to exercise self-control and tolerate stress when dealing with multiple requests and/or conflicting demands from multiple customers.
- Special Demands: Use of personal protective equipment is required as there is a potential for exposure to biohazardous or infectious agents when drawing and processing specimens.
- Confidentiality: The employee has access to the entire medical record for the purpose of charting and correcting laboratory results AND review of physician orders.
- The access is limited to the amount reasonably necessary to achieve the purpose of the laboratory testing request.
- The disclosure or requests that occur on a routine or recurring basis include patient demographics, condition and laboratory results.
Personal Protective Equipment:
- Follows Standard Precautions using personal protective equipment as required for procedures.
By embracing and understanding the diversity EVERY ONE brings, Cleveland Clinic has created an inclusive culture that promotes innovation, growth, and new ideas. This has enhanced our ability to attract the best global talent to provide the best patient experience possible. Cleveland Clinic is pleased to be an equal employment/affirmative action employer: Women/Minorities/Veterans/Individuals with Disabilities. Smoke/drug free environment.