Senior Faculty Assistant
Job posting number: #7107278
Posted: August 4, 2022
Application Deadline: Open Until Filled
Job DescriptionAbout us:
The Wyss Institute’s mission is to transform healthcare and the environment by emulating the way nature builds. We harness the freedom of academia and the focus of industry in order to translate revolutionary technologies into commercial products and solutions. At the Wyss Institute, faculty from premier academic and clinical institutions collaborate with staff scientists, postdocs, graduate students, industry experts, business development leaders, and entrepreneurs across disciplines to invent and de-risk new technologies that don’t just succeed at making it to the market – they disrupt it. We support research that universities, companies, and venture capital firms don’t fund because they view it as too risky. We prefer to use the word “challenging,” and we love challenges. For more information, visit: http://wyss.harvard.edu/
You are a collaborative, impact-focused problem solver dedicated to providing administrative support as a part of a large research community. You are passionate about science and are excited by the prospect of joining Dr. Peng Yin, Core Faculty Member and his team to support the creation of breakthrough technologies that improve human health. You are looking for a position with opportunity for growth and development. You aim to provide stellar customer service in all your interactions and adapt easily to changing priorities in a fast-paced environment. You enjoy working with diverse groups of people across all levels of the organization.
About the Role:
We are seeking a talented individual to work as a Senior Faculty Assistant at the Wyss Institute. Reporting to the Senior Administrative Services Manager and providing support to Core Faculty Member, Peng Yin, and his research team, you will be responsible for the administrative and budgetary, and operational aspects of this dynamic, interdisciplinary team.
What you'll do:
- Research, writing and editing support:
- Assist with drafting and editing, preparing, and/or submitting grant proposal, research reports, papers, letters of recommendation, and other research, communication and operational documents
- Help with library, journal literature research and summarize and organize findings
- Contribute to the preparation of patent and business development materials
- Grant, budgetary, financial, project, and reporting support:
- Work with internal teams to support grant submission process
- Support group budgetary planning and monitoring
- Facilitate grant awards reporting and progress monitoring
- Assist with project management and progress tracking
- Process expense reports and reimbursements
- Public and internal relations:
- Contribute to the drafting and preparation of presentation and public relations materials, including presentations, website materials, press releases, social media, and other documents
- Maintain laboratory website, establish and maintain social media
- Serve as primary administrative contact for Core Faculty Member and team
- Liaise between the Wyss, the Department of Systems Biology, and other stakeholders on all administrative matters to ensure needs are being met and are in compliance with Institute and University policy
- Employee onboarding and engagement:
- Provide support for the hiring, onboarding, off-boarding, and general training of group members
- Plan and execute lab cultural events, help maintain a positive and inclusive lab culture
- Record keeping:
- Maintain electronic and paper files and help establish and maintain complex lab database
- Maintain and update PI CV
- Assist with managing bench assignments and space allocations for lab members
- Equipment inventory and purchasing for the Yin lab
- Coordinating lab cleanouts
- Order office and lab supplies
- Events and travel:
- Manage calendar; coordinate travel
- Schedule conference rooms; provide audiovisual support; order catering
- Organize and coordinate twice semi-annual laboratory symposium
- Facilitate Institute and other group events/workshop organization
- Demonstrate a commitment to diversity, inclusion, and cultural awareness through actions, interactions, and communications with others
- Other duties as assigned
This position will be based on our campus in Boston, MA and will require on-campus presence. Subject to business needs, the Wyss Institute generally supports flexible work arrangements.
Harvard requires COVID vaccination for all Harvard community members. Individuals may claim exemption from the vaccine requirement for medical or religious reasons. More information regarding the University’s COVID vaccination requirement, exemptions, and verification of vaccination status may be found at the University’s “COVID-19 Vaccine Information” webpage: http://www.harvard.edu/coronavirus/covid-19-vaccine-information/
Harvard is unable to provide visa sponsorship for this position.
Why you’ll like working with us:
At the Wyss Institute, you’re a member of a supportive, dynamic community that is united by its shared goal of changing the world through groundbreaking technology development and commercialization. We encourage your professional growth and development through mentorship and tuition reimbursement to support continued learning, and more. We also support your physical, financial, and mental well-being through generous time off benefits, gym reimbursements, and other programs offered through Harvard. Our community will be relocating to a new, state of the art life sciences building in the lively Fenway neighborhood in spring 2023, where you will have access to multiple amenities including a roof terrace with stunning views of Boston and proximity to numerous restaurants and cultural attractions. We value an inclusive and diverse workforce, and believe that our differences enrich the work environment for all.
Our outstanding benefits package includes:
- Time Off: 3 - 4 weeks paid vacation, paid holiday break, 12 paid sick days, 12.5 paid holidays, and 3 paid personal days per year.
- Medical/Dental/Vision: We offer a variety of excellent medical plans, dental & vision plans, all coverage begins as of your start date.
- Retirement: University-funded retirement plan contributions from 5% to 15% of eligible compensation, based on age and earnings with full vesting after 3 years of service.
- Tuition Assistance Program: Competitive tuition assistance program, $40 per class at the Harvard Extension School and discounted options through participating Harvard grad schools.
- Transportation: Harvard offers a 50% discounted MBTA pass as well as additional options to assist employees in their daily commute.
- Wellness options: Harvard offers programs and classes at little or no cost, including stress management, massages, nutrition, meditation and complimentary health services.
- Facilities access and Discounts: Harvard access to athletic facilities, libraries, campus events and many discounts throughout metro Boston.