METL Experimental Operations Engineer
Job posting number: #7106990 (Ref:413870)
Posted: August 2, 2022
Application Deadline: Open Until Filled
For this position we are seeking a mechanical, nuclear, electrical and/or chemical engineer to join our multi-disciplinary team that includes research engineers, design engineers, test engineers, fluids and thermal researchers, and experienced technicians. The selected individual will support and/or oversee the portions of the design, fabrication, construction, startup and commissioning, operations, and trouble-shooting of cutting-edge experimental systems and sub-systems with the predominant focus on the testing and operations of the intermediate-scale liquid metal technology experimental facility called the Mechanisms Engineering Test Loop (METL) and its related infrastructure.
METL is an intermediate-scale liquid metal experimental facility whose purpose is to provide purified R-grade sodium to various experimental test vessels to test components that are required to operating in a prototypic advanced reactor environment. It consists of the main sodium facility and its supporting related infrastructure.
Note: This description describes the general nature of work but is not intended to be a comprehensive list of all duties and responsibilities.
- Support the operations and expansion of intermediate and small-scale liquid metal technology facilities and provide technical support for experimental and programmatic work in the areas of mechanical, electromechanical, optical, and electrical systems.
- Support the development, fabrication, troubleshooting, repair, calibration, purchasing, and maintenance for a variety of complex electronic and mechanical apparatus, plant/process equipment, and subsystems, with a specific focus on the intermediate scale liquid metal technology facility (METL) and the test articles that are tested in the METL facility.
- Design and testing of electro-mechanical equipment for advanced reactors that may be destined for testing in the METL facility or its supporting infrastructure.
- Design and testing of electronic systems which typically consist of power supplies and controllers, data logging hardware, and equipment for temperature and valve control.
- Advanced experience with experimental design and operation including instrumentation (thermocouples, pressure transmitters, flow meters, level, etc.) specification, installation and operation.
- Support the design, fabrication, assembly, qualification, installation and testing of specialized experimental equipment in the METL facility.
- Operate the METL facility to provide the necessary conditions for the research and development conducted in the METL test vessels.
- Prior resistance heating systems and LabVIEW/Eurotherm/industrial control experience is desirable
- Prior liquid metal facility operations or comparable experience is desirable
- Familiarity with industry standards and practices for electrical and/or mechanical systems.
- Knowledge of mechanical equipment (motors, pulleys, gears, bearings, mechanical mechanisms, pumps, valves, etc.), thermal effects on materials and components (expansion, evaporation, etc.), and operation of a personal computer.
- Knowledge of use of ANSYS, Comsol, or other analytical computer codes is desirable.
- Knowledge of metallurgy, heat transfer, fluid mechanics, design of electro-mechanical mechanisms, stress and structural mechanics is desirable.
- Must maintain knowledge and awareness of Laboratory policies and procedures
- Skilled in oral and written communication.
- The position may be involved in shift work during the operations of the METL facility.
- Ability to model Argonne’s Core Values: Impact, Safety, Respect, Integrity and Teamwork.
The selected candidate will be placed at the appropriate level (RD1 or RD2) depending upon depth and breadth of relevant knowledge, skills, and experience brought to the position. The requirements for the desired levels are as follows:
- RD1 Level: Bachelor’s and 0+ years; Master’s and 0+ years or equivalent.
- RD2 Level: Bachelor’s and 5+ years; Master’s and 3+ years; Doctorate and 0 years, or equivalent
Job FamilyResearch Development (RD)
Job ProfileNuclear/Reactor Engineering 1
Time TypeFull time
As an equal employment opportunity and affirmative action employer, and in accordance with our core values of impact, safety, respect, integrity and teamwork, Argonne National Laboratory is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace that fosters collaborative scientific discovery and innovation. In support of this commitment, Argonne encourages minorities, women, veterans and individuals with disabilities to apply for employment. Argonne considers all qualified applicants for employment without regard to age, ancestry, citizenship status, color, disability, gender, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, marital status, national origin, pregnancy, race, religion, sexual orientation, veteran status or any other characteristic protected by law.
Argonne employees, and certain guest researchers and contractors, are subject to particular restrictions related to participation in Foreign Government Sponsored or Affiliated Activities, as defined and detailed in United States Department of Energy Order 486.1A. You will be asked to disclose any such participation in the application phase for review by Argonne's Legal Department.
All Argonne offers of employment are contingent upon a background check that includes an assessment of criminal conviction history conducted on an individualized and case-by-case basis. Please be advised that Argonne positions require upon hire (or may require in the future) for the individual be to obtain a government access authorization that involves additional background check requirements. Failure to obtain or maintain such government access authorization could result in the withdrawal of a job offer or future termination of employment.
Please note that all Argonne employees are required to be vaccinated against COVID-19. All successful applicants will be required to provide their COVID-19 vaccination verification as a condition of employment, subject to limited legally recognized exemptions to COVID-19 vaccination.
Argonne is an equal opportunity employer, and we value diversity in our workforce. As an equal employment opportunity and affirmative action employer, Argonne National Laboratory is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace that fosters collaborative scientific discovery and innovation. In support of this commitment, Argonne prohibits discrimination or harassment based on an individual's age, ancestry, citizenship status, color, disability, gender, gender identity, genetic information, marital status, national origin, pregnancy, race, religion, sexual orientation, veteran status or any other characteristic protected by law.