La Jolla, CA
Job posting number: #7103450 (Ref:spd-2092184)
Posted: June 14, 2022
Application Deadline: Open Until Filled
Sanford Burnham Prebys is a preeminent, independent biomedical research institute dedicated to understanding human biology and disease, and advancing scientific discoveries to profoundly impact human health.
Reporting to the HR Director, the Human Resources Generalist performs specialized duties on a professional level of various complexity working closely with staff and management on a wide array of employment services matters. This position carries out responsibilities in the following functional areas: employee relations, employee change processing, training, performance management, policy implementation, among others.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Assists with COVID-19 tracking, including contact tracing and investigations as necessary
- Responds to general inquiries from management and staff to communicate various institute policies, procedures, standards, and outcomes
- Coordinates SBP processes and reviews paperwork to support employee changes and promotions; communicates outcomes
- Coordinates EDD state unemployment claims and requests for information
- Conducts investigations and interviews; writes investigative reports, makes recommendations for action and communicates outcomes as they relate to employee relations issues
- Facilitates discussions on performance and discipline matters, problem resolution, employee complaints and concerns
- Tracks employee relations cases, analyzes data and formulates departmental activity reports
- Administers the separation process for employees (voluntary and involuntary)
- Processes employee resignations and involuntary terminations
- Conducts check-out meeting, exit interview and tracks feedback; identifies potential retention opportunities
- Assists with roll-out of annual performance management process
- Assists with development and implementation of training programs and materials
- Monitors and responds to inquiries forwarded to the employee relations email alias
- Identifies and implements appropriate systems, programs, tools and processes to improve service to management and employees
- Analyzes data on various programs including tracking employee end dates; summarizes and reports findings
- Responds to and manages Leave of Absence requests; processes necessary paperwork in accordance with local, state and federal requirements
- Keeps records of employee relations services actions
- Mediates conflicts, provides recommendations and solutions
Education and/or Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree (in business administration, human resources, psychology or related field preferred) and three years’ experience in a human resources environment or equivalent combination of education, training and/or experience from which comparable knowledge, skills and abilities have been attained is required
- Experience with employee relations, investigations, interviews and report writing are preferred
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
- General knowledge of employment laws, wage and hour laws, HR practices and policies required
- Exceptional verbal and written communication skills
- Excellent relationship management skills and people acumen
- Experience presenting to groups
- Demonstrate critical thinking and creativity when responding to problems in a variety of situations
- Ability to handle confidential situations with a high degree of integrity
- Be able to work independently as well as in a team environment
- Possess strong attention to detail, time management and organizational skills
- Professional proficiency in Microsoft Office with strong data analysis and Excel skills
- Embody the Institute’s core values of Commitment, Collaboration, Communication, Community and Compassion.
The scientists at Sanford Burnham Prebys Medical Discovery Institute are making research breakthroughs in cancer, neuroscience, immunology, and children's disease. We are also at the forefront of finding solutions for health threats such as COVID-19, where we are working to identify drugs that may help millions of people. During our more than 40 year history, we have established an NCI-designated Cancer Center, designed one of the most sophisticated drug discovery centers in the nonprofit world, and created global collaborations that are leading to preventions, treatments and cures to improve human health.
Sanford Burnham Prebys Medical Discovery Institute is an Equal Opportunity employer – M/F/Veteran/Disability – committed to the hiring, advancement and fair treatment of all individuals. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, protected veteran status, or any other protected status as designated by federal, state or local law. For additional information about your rights as an applicant, click HERE.
If you need an accommodation seeking employment with Sanford Burnham Prebys, please email [email protected]. Accommodations are made on a case-by-case basis.