Administrative Assistant I
San Diego, CA
Job posting number: #7101963 (Ref:spd-1899122)
Posted: June 8, 2022
Application Deadline: Open Until Filled
SBP is a preeminent, independent biomedical research institute dedicated to understanding human biology and disease, and advancing scientific discoveries to profoundly impact human health.
The Conrad Prebys Center for Chemical Genomics, Sanford Burnham Prebys Medical Discovery Institute’s drug discovery center, is seeking an administrative assistant to be a contributing member of our team. The ultimate mission of the team is to discover treatments for diseases, including active projects in Alzheimer’s and other neurodegenerative diseases, cancer, drug addiction, and heart and kidney disease, among others. This position provides general administrative support for our scientists and our projects. The ideal candidate will be collaborative, exercise good judgement, have a strong attention to detail and be committed to enabling high quality science by managing administrative processes for our scientists. Duties include scheduling, coordination of travel and events, supporting pre- and post-award grant processes and working on special projects as necessary. The candidate will exercise discretion in working with confidential and sensitive information. He or she will also interact with a diverse group of high-profile external collaborators and internal colleagues at all levels of the institute, therefore strong communication skills and a focus on outcomes are essential. Training on federal grants submission and administration processes will be provided with the opportunity for advancement after the first year of employment.
- Schedules and organizes complex activities such as meetings, travel, conferences and department activities for all members of the department.
- Drafts written responses or replies by phone or e-mail when necessary. Responds to routine and non-routine questions as requested.
- Supports the submission of grant applications.
- Supports maintenance of the department finances which include assisting with check requests, travel reimbursement requests or documenting purchasing credit card expenses and other related requests.
- Sorts and distributes mail for the Center.
- Supports creation, editing and development of documents as requested including drafting correspondence, charts, tables, proofreading copy for spelling, grammar and layout, and making appropriate changes.
- May perform other administrative duties as assigned.
- High School Diploma required. Associate degree, or equivalent education, training and/or experience from which comparable knowledge, skills and abilities have been attained is preferred.
- One year of administrative experience required
- Previous experience in proposal development a plus.
- Fully vaccinated for COVID-19, proof required.
Knowledge, Skills and/or Abilities:
- Possesses strong analytical, time management, organizational, communication (written and verbal), and interpersonal skills
- Able to exercise sound judgement
- Able to seamlessly switch from one task to another
- Able to prioritize workload
- Works independently as well as in a team environment
- Be responsible, organized, and a problem solver
- Possesses strong attention to detail
- Effectively interacts with individuals from various cultures and backgrounds
- Professional proficiency in Microsoft Office suite; Microsoft 2016 or Office 365 is preferred – skill in Outlook, Word, Excel and Power Point.
- Capacity to learn department-specific software tools as needed
- Embody the Institute’s core values of Commitment, Collaboration, Communication, Community and Compassion.
The scientists at Sanford Burnham Prebys Medical Discovery Institute are making research breakthroughs in cancer, neuroscience, immunology, and children's disease. We are also at the forefront of finding solutions for health threats such as COVID-19, where we are working to identify drugs that may help millions of people. During our more than 40 year history, we have established an NCI-designated Cancer Center, designed one of the most sophisticated drug discovery centers in the nonprofit world, and created global collaborations that are leading to preventions, treatments and cures to improve human health.
Sanford Burnham Prebys Medical Discovery Institute is an Equal Opportunity employer – M/F/Veteran/Disability – committed to the hiring, advancement and fair treatment of all individuals. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, protected veteran status, or any other protected status as designated by federal, state or local law. For additional information about your rights as an applicant, click HERE.