Ambulatory Surgical Unit Assistant
Job posting number: #7085250 (Ref:137658)
Posted: September 14, 2021
Application Deadline: Open Until Filled
- Escorts preoperative patient to bed space and assists with the preoperative preparation of the patient by orienting the patient and family to the unit, labeling and securing patient belongings, completing vital signs and Accucheck, and other tasks as assigned by RN. Documents as appropriate.
- Performs a variety of technical tasks, including set up of IV infusions, application of heat or cold, enemas, application of external monitoring devices and removal of urinary catheters, peripheral IVs or NG tubes.
- Assists RN with exams, moving and positioning the patient.
- Assembles and cleans equipment needed.
- Removes all medical and regulated waste.
- Performs decontamination, instrument inspection, instrument assembly, and sterilization of equipment.
- Selects appropriate sterilization method and packaging for processing of equipment.
- Performs and monitors the sterilization processes used in the procedural areas and completes logs as appropriate.
- Utilizes the instrument tracking systems to monitor equipment and document work completed.
- Performs basic case cart assembly.
- Transports patients of all ages within the procedural areas.
- Responsible for the supplies, equipment and specimens within the procedural areas.
- Maintains transportation logs.
- Escorts patients at discharge.
- Transports properly labeled and packaged specimens as directed.
- Transports broken equipment, along with completed requisitions, to the designated location for pick-up.
- Picks up and delivers tables.
- Stocks equipment and supplies as directed to designated par levels.
- Checks expiration dates of solutions and medication and updates documents monthly.
- Assists with maintaining equipment control, replacing parts, sending equipment for repair and obtaining loaner equipment.
- Sanitizes and cleans the ORs consistent with procedural areas Environmental Service Standards.
- Other duties as assigned.
- High School Diploma required.
- On-the-Job Training: After selection and placement into the position, three (3) months on-the-job training to become familiar with specific department procedures, medical terminology, equipment, sterilization procedures
Basic Life Support (BLS) through American Heart Association (AHA)
Complexity of Work:
- Requires critical thinking skills, decisive judgment, and the ability to work with minimal supervision.
- Must be able to work in a stressful environment and take appropriate action.
- Minimum one (1) year experience in a healthcare or related environment.
- Must successfully complete basic competencies and Level A CPR certification within the probationary period.
- Light Work - Exerting up to 20 pounds of force occasionally, and/or up to 10 pounds of force frequently, and/or a negligible amount of force constantly (Constantly: activity or condition exists 2/3 or more of the time) to move objects.
- Requires a full range of body motion pulling, lifting, pushing, and transferring patients to and from various apparatus.
Personal Protective Equipment:
- Follows standard precautions using personal protective equipment as required.
By embracing and understanding the diversity EVERY ONE brings, Cleveland Clinic has created an inclusive culture that promotes innovation, growth, and new ideas. This has enhanced our ability to attract the best global talent to provide the best patient experience possible. Cleveland Clinic is pleased to be an equal employment/affirmative action employer: Women/Minorities/Veterans/Individuals with Disabilities. Smoke/drug free environment.