Director Protein Science
Job posting number: #7085168
Posted: September 13, 2021
Application Deadline: Open Until Filled
Bright Peak Therapeutics is a preclinical-stage biopharmaceutical company, developing next -generation cytokine-based therapeutics. As part of our accelerated growth phase, we are seeking a highly motivated and experienced scientist with deep expertise in protein sciences. You will provide scientific leadership and strategic guidance to our recombinant protein expression programs and be responsible for the identification and characterisation of development candidates from project inception up to IND. Working in a fast-paced environment with tremendous growth opportunity, this position allows you to have an immediate impact on the development of Bright Peak’s growing portfolio of immunooncology and autoimmune programs. The ideal applicant has a strong background in biologics with a focus on the recombinant expression and purification of proteins. In addition, you have experience in discovery and development of antibody-based – preferably also cytokine-based – protein therapeutics. In your role, you will manage and continue to build a team of scientists and research associates with molecular biochemistry and biochemistry background. You will effectively collaborate with teams in discovery, bioanalytical and preclinical development in order to identify differentiated development candidates and to advance Bright Peak’s portfolio of innovative immune-modulating therapeutics for the treatment of immunooncology autoimmune diseases. The position is based in Basel, but our perspective is global, so relocation assistance and flexible working arrangements are offered where appropriate.
Responsibilities and Skills
• Manage and continue to build the team for recombinant protein expression, purifications and characterization for supporting the development of next-generation protein therapies.
• Strong understanding and experimental background with demonstrated expertise in recombinant protein expression in E. Coli, mammalian and insect cells.
• Ensure development of robust and high-yielding expression and purification workflows for generating a small library of recombinant proteins for R&D, pre-clinical development.
• Ensure development of robust protein refolding, purification and characterization workflows in small and large scale.
• Ensure development of pre-formulation and stability assessments of lead, development candidates using state-of-the art biologics characterization and QC methods.
• Lead and oversee outsourcing and tech. transfer of protocols and production processes for scale-up and complete characterization to CRO’s and CMO’s.
• Act as liaison between the R&D and CMC team for developability assessment and for smooth transfer of upstream and downstream processes including analytical testing for development.
• Contribute to Bright Peak’s research strategy by advancing our portfolio in close collaboration with the CTO, CSO and group leaders in discovery and preclinical research.
• Inception and progression of current and future projects up to the identification of novel development candidates and IND.
• Provide scientific direction and support to project teams.
• Establish and manage external partnerships with CROs, consultants, academic collaborators and other partners.
• Supervise and mentor scientists and junior staff members.
Experience and Qualifications
• PhD and / or Post-doctoral training in biochemistry, molecular biology or related field and a minimum of 8 years of experience in pharmaceutical/biotechnology industry.
• Advanced understanding of R&D, preclinical research and drug development as well as regulatory process.
• Strong working knowledge of recombinant protein expression and characterization with an emphasis on expression of cytokines; experience with immunocytokines and nonstandard biologics formats (ADC, bispecifics etc.) is a plus.
• Detailed understanding of protein refolding, recombinant expression and purification of lead and development drug candidates.
• Clear track record of successful discovery and progression of projects from discovery to IND
• Proven ability to foster scientific excellence and to guide strategic decisions in a datadriven and solutions-oriented manner.
• Proven history of team leadership in an industry setting.
• Independence with proven ability to work in a cross-functional and collaborative environment.
About Bright Peak Therapeutics
Bright Peak is a well-funded, privately held biotechnology company based in Basel and San Diego developing innovative cytokine therapeutics that are engineered to precisely control and improve desired biological properties. Using our unique Enhanced Design and Combine (EDC) technology platform, we are developing a portfolio of designer immunotherapies for the treatment of cancer and autoimmune diseases. We are also pioneering a new category of “Bright Peak Immunocytokines” that simultaneously leverage our technology platform and the precision of antibody targeting resulting in cytokine-mediated selective immune modulation. At Bright Peak, we have a passion for science and believe in our ability to discover and develop innovative therapies to improve the life of patients with limited treatment options. Bright Peak provides an inclusive workplace, and our employees are collaborative and comfortable working in flexible and fast-paced environments. We thrive in our fun, dynamic culture and are looking to add to our team in our spacious labs and offices located in Basel-Klybeck
Did we pique your interest ? Then click the apply button. We look forward to hearing from you.