Staff Scientist - Protein Purification and X-ray Crystallography
Job posting number: #7081493 (Ref:10011796)
Posted: July 22, 2021
Application Deadline: Open Until Filled
Job DescriptionAbout City of Hope
City of Hope, an innovative biomedical research, treatment and educational institution with over 6000 employees, is dedicated to the prevention and cure of cancer and other life-threatening diseases and guided by a compassionate, patient-centered philosophy.
Founded in 1913 and headquartered in Duarte, California, City of Hope is a remarkable non-profit institution, where compassion and advanced care go hand-in-hand with excellence in clinical and scientific research. City of Hope is a National Cancer Institute designated Comprehensive Cancer Center and a founding member of the National Comprehensive Cancer Network, an alliance of the nation's leading cancer centers that develops and institutes standards of care for cancer treatment.
The Laboratory of Dr. John William's is looking for a highly motivated Staff Scientist/X-ray crystallographer with experience in cloning and purification of proteins from E coli, yeast, insect and mammalian cell lines.
The lab houses numerous instruments including Rigaku 007 with HiPix detector, Mosquito crystallization robot, Formulatrix Imaging robots, multiple FPLCs, HPLCs, a T200 SPR, Waters Nano ITC, Kinexa3000, Beckman Proteome, Sony Cell sorter, Berkeley Lights Beacon, and ample access to synchrotron time. The Beckman Research Institute and the NCI designated cancer center supports multiple cores including three GMP facilities.
- Involved in multiple projects across the institute including small molecule discovery using fragment screening (diffraction, SPR and DSF based and supported by the synthetic chemistry core)
- Will participate in the development of biologics including conditionally activated IO therapeutics.
- Immersed in a large group with experience that spans antibody discovery (using cutting edge technologies such as single cell identification), advanced protein engineering and in vivo and in vitro screening with the urgent goal of improving patient's lives.
Basic education, experience and skills required for consideration:
- The Staff Scientist must possess, at a minimum, the U.S. equivalent bachelor's or master's degree in an appropriate discipline and will often have a PhD or other doctoral level degree.
- The ideal candidate should also have deep experience running SPR, ITC, CD, AUC and DSF.
- Additional experience in CryoEM is desirable .
City of Hope is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, status as a protected veteran, or status as a qualified individual with disability.
- Posting Date: Jul 20, 2021
- Job Field: Research
- Employee Status: Regular
- Shift: Day Job
City of Hope is a community of people characterized by our diversity of thought, background and approach, but tied together by our commitment to care for and cure those with cancer and other life-threatening diseases. The innovation that our diversity produces in the areas of research, treatment, philanthropy and education has made us national leaders in this fight. Our unique and diverse workforce provides us the ability to understand our patients' needs, deliver compassionate care and continue the quest for a cure for life-threatening diseases. At City of Hope, diversity and inclusion is a core value at the heart of our mission. We strive to create an inclusive workplace environment that engages all of our employees and provides them with opportunities to develop and grow, both personally and professionally. Each day brings an opportunity to strengthen our work, leverage our different perspectives and improve our patients’ experiences by learning from others. Diversity and inclusion is about much more than policies and campaigns. It is an integral part of who we are as an institution, how we operate and how we see our future.